painting dining chairs for your classroom
A couple of teachers were so inspired by our chair-ity event at the end of last year that they wanted four of their own chairs painted to fit their classroom's theme.; monsters & superheroes.
How I did it: Day one
- Find a place to water down some old sheets. This will collect most of the dust while sanding.
- Sand each chair thoroughly giving rods a once over. I used a small hand machine for larger areas.
- Wear a face mask
- spray paint each chair in a well ventilated (and not windy) area. I used 1 can of Rust-oleum spray paint per chair.
- Wear a face mask for this too.
- Once the chairs are dry start sketching out a design that best fits your theme. I hand-painted images on the largest area of the chair using regular acrylic paint.
- As a side border I used washi tape. However, washi tape peels off in humidity and scrapes easily so if you plan on transporting your chairs I would apply the washi tape at your final destination.
- Seal your design using spray varnish. Applying paint may smear acrylic.
Day 5-transport carefully.